05 December 2011

Magic Strikes by Ilona Andrews (Revised)



~ spoilers ~
They have got to be my all-time favorite authors so far this year. I just recently figure out after reading this book that Ilona Andrews is a pseudonym for a husband and wife that write novels. I know I raved about Lev Grossman and his style of writing earlier in my posts, but seriously Ilona Andrews is awesome, at least from my perspective. Both authors have this amazing collaborative power that is fearsome. You have just enough of macho actions scenes, with mystery, and the sensitive little love spurts that keeps your attention in check. The Kate Daniel' series is a great example of this action with love waiting in anticipation. When I say a little love from earlier, I mean it. She hasn't had any ferocious scenes of romance that last pages long, she has been modest and kept PG13 rated, only kissing so far. Compared to Kim Harrison and Karen Chance, who both have some.... interesting descriptions.

The book I read, Magic Strikes, is the third novel to the Kate Daniels series and there are two more as far as I know. The book series goes in order from Magic Bites, Magic Burns, Magic Strikes, Magic Bleeds, and Magic Slays. In Magic Strikes Kate is a liaison for the Order of the Knights of Merciful Aid, in which she has to take care of the paranormal problem no one wants to take care of in Atlanta, unofficially. The third book leaves off two months after the second. Kate gets caught up in the Midnight Games, which leads to a lot of bloody fights and drama.

The Kate Daniel's series is a little bit dark science fiction and humorous. Kate Daniels, the female protagonist, is a mercenary that lives in Atlanta. She is also an expert swordsman, which is very cool because if I had to master one skill in the entire world before I die, I would pick swordsmanship. Because of obvious reasons learning that trade wouldn't be much help now, but it's still awesome. What I love best about her novels is that she doesn't make vampires look like some pretty boys that seduce you to them in fashionable ways. No, she keeps them ugly, crude, creepy, and bloodthirsty. They are also controlled by necromancers. YES! Finally I have been waiting for someone to do that.

What also catches my attention in their novels is the alternate world that Kate lives in. It is very similar to our world, but different in its own magical way. I love it. It isn't they typical vampires and werewolves novel, it has a quirky kick to it. The random magic outbursts is pretty funny, but then it makes Kate's job harder because she has to help all the people in need of help. Curran, the Beast Lord of the shape-shifters, is also hilarious. He teases Kate so bad and she doesn't give in. She keeps her class which is one of the reasons why I admire Kate's character so much. I don't want to say anything else much to try and not spoil everything. That would be a bad thing. Just keep reading through the first book, because it might be a little hard to get through, but it is worth while in the end.  

No comments:

Post a Comment