31 October 2011

The Edge of the World

The Edge of the World by Kevin J. Anderson was okay to read. I guess you could say it wasn't my cup of tea. I read about a good two hundred pages, but I just couldn't get into it. This book is the first out of three in the Terra Incognita series. It started out pretty good and I really like how Anderson told the story from multiple views of characters and not just one character. I wished he would have focused a little bit more on one character's story while incorporating the other characters point of views as well. His writing style is good and easy to pick up on. The plot was a too slow for me though. I do realize that there is about six hundred seventy something pages in the book, but it wasn't catching my interest that much. It felt like Anderson was explaining the religion too much. I can see how an author feels the need to explain everything especially in a science fiction fantasy novel, but after a hundred pages of explaining how their religion works is enough for me. The religious item felt too repetitive for my taste. It reminded me of Romeo and Juliet written by William Shakespeare. The war between families versus the war between the two religions. The idea of having a charts man with a photographic memory is awesome!! I love that concept. I think it would be amazing to sail around on a ship, explore, and find new worlds. The idea of having all of that information and pictures in your head that can be accessed at anytime you need is very cool. It would be very useful in times of need. The exploration, adventure, and science fiction fantasy is why I was originally attracted to reading this book, but unfortunately it turns out that I did not end up liking it very much. I will finish it later on, but as of now I can wait to finish it.

No comments:

Post a Comment